Sunday, December 4, 2016

The Guadalupe Wine Valley

When my niece, Amie and I decided to come early to Southern California, I suggested we go to Mexico.  This was to be a short drive from San Diego to the border , where we explore, although we had room reservations.   Oh, what could go wrong, just cross the board and as I remembered to show proof of car insurance, as in the past this is a MUST.

From memory, as you cross to the Mexican side, there was a large sign where you could buy insurance or show proof of insurance.  Crossing took maybe 30 minutes, and then WHERE WAS THE INSURANCE PLACE.    And heck, there was NO where to pull of or make a U TURN.

Finally, we stopped and Amie had some info about the insurance place, which was now on the US side.  Turning around, and OMG, the traffic going to the US was about 1 1/2 wait.

Now, you could shop from car, buy drink concoction, food of all typed.  Now really, did you want this 1 foot statue of hands holding the Nativity Scene.   Ok, how about a blanket of your favorite NFL team.    I was not too sure of their spelling of the teams, but I am not the best speller myself.    How about a hat, a sombrero or poncho.   At least we were being entertained.

As were we 15 cars from the border guard, you held your drivers license up to a camera, I was not too sure for what reason.  Although, there was an US border guard standing there, or was he standing there asleep.  Oh, well, I asked him about the insurance office and then Amie said,"Where is the Visa office?"  Why??????he said.  Amie told him we turned around for the insurance and visa.  He shook his head, motioning no need for either, and it was too late now.

As we approached the border guard in the car, she could not believe that we had be Mexico for 2 hours and 1 1/2 hrs in line.  Did we have anything to DECLARE??????????I declare that Trump needs to drive across this border and see how hard these people are working.  Really, we need this spirit of working hard in the hot sun, find a talent to get some to give you money.   If all Americans worked this hard for little, we would be ahead of the game.

Now, you can argue with me, I am not there...................................

I do not have an pictures of this, but really what an experience.    It was a really long time to go only a little way, but it was so worth it......

What fun, not a repeat....



We arrived in La Masion, where we had a room?????Cottage????From Penny, an American retired in Mexico.  The road to the place was alot to be desired, we had to drive so slow because of the rocks in the road.  It was getting so dark and cold.  I really did not pack for cold weather.  After getting fire wood for the fire place, we went to the local tienda, grocery store.  We had nothing and there a kitchenette area.

Back down the rocky road to the main road.  There were no street lights, really very remote area.  The store had light bulbs hanging from the ceiling.  Ok, what to get, coffee and beer.....I was hesitate about the food and the milk.  Oh, then there was a guy which brought in fresh made pastries, OK this was the ticket......Now, I had only dollars$$$$$, an learning experience for Amie........The owner a lady rang it all up and showed me the total, OH Goodness......it was in Pecos.....can you tell me dollars???She had a calculator and started to punch in the figures and turned it to me........Hell, I had been to Mexico in years....$1.47, I mean a pound of coffee and beer and two pastries....What a bargain...

After returning back to Penny's and opening the gate with my name on it and locking the gate, we built a fire and took" partial drunk", sleep came easy.

The next morning we were off early and the adventure continued with going to the wine valley, really we did not see any where to eat or really anything at for the longest time, only because we in the mountains following a bunch of bikers, I mean on bicycles.   Then, we started to vineyards, really looked so pitiful, really where the vine and not mention the grapes and the vineyards were closed.

Finally, we saw a truck going to vineyard and we followed it and stopped and asked the people about where was a place to eat.  Now, these must have thought we were crazy, or just did not want to talk to us or we were robbers.......they could have been from Mars and us from who knows where....they pointed to keep going.   There was vineyard, but a fence, or should I say, wire on sticks closing the entrance......so we decide to go in the construction entrance.  I saw a lady dressed nice and asked her where to eat???????and she motioned us to follow us and she took us to vineyard, the back way and they were just opening.

Now, this was not I had in mind, I wanted breakfast from a typical Mexican place.  This was 5 *****
Linens and a fireplace and the service.   The menu was in Spanish, but I know food, but the Pecos...
OMG, the food was great, with muffins to die for, great coffee and the Mexican breakfast.   Oh, I was stuffed and it was about time when the buses from the cruise ship showed up.

Ok, the check............in Pecos  and then dollars........$15.00....this was great!!!!! So, I asked the waiter, if there was a place to stay on this vineyard???????Now, he was clueless, so he brought over Oscar....
He explained there were few places to stay in the valley and they book quickly, but hopefully in the next year, they want to 22 rooms....

Now, really this place is unbelievable....It is what I remembered about Mexico...Great Views, and the Wine is really up and coming....and the prices are the best

And they want you there and so glad you came, ate, spent money.......

So, planning a place to go for a bargain and good food and good drinks, here it is

Guadalupe Wine Valley, Mexico

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment